EdgeX Foundry, a project under the LF Edge umbrella organization within the Linux Foundation, have announced it’s Ireland release. Focused on edge/IoT solutions, EdgeX Foundry’s second major release overhauls API sets, removes technical debt, provides more message-based communications, and simplifies and secures interface for adopters and developers, making the platform significantly easier to use and more reliable.
“As a leading stage 3 project under LF Edge, the EdgeX Ireland release has expanded use cases across retail, building automation, smart cities, process control, and manufacturing,” explains Arpit Joshipura, general manager, Networking, Edge & IoT, at the Linux Foundation. “It’s a key to standardizing IoT frameworks across market verticals.”
“This release sets in motion the opportunity for EdgeX to offer its first ever LTS or long-term support release as soon as the fall. This is a significant commitment on the part of our open-source community to all adopters that says we stand with you, prepared to help support your use of EdgeX in real world, scalable, production deployments,” said Jim White, chief technical officer, IoTech, and EdgeX Foundry Technical Steering Committee Chair.
Ireland Feature Highlights
– Standardized and modernized northbound and southbound APIs enrich ease of interoperability across the IoT framework
– Advanced security is built into the APIs, message bus, and internal architecture of EdgeX
– New device services (southbound) and new app services (northbound) included in Ireland are also inherently secure (e.g., GPIO, CoAP, LLRP, UART)
Commercialization & Use Case Highlights
– Open Retail Reference Architecture (ORRA): a new sub-project that provides a common deployment platform for edge-based solutions and IoT devices. ORRA is a collaboration with fellow LF Edge projects Open Horizon and Secure Device Onboard, incubated by EdgeX Foundry.
– The new Edgex Ready program highlights users and organizations that have integrated their offerings with solutions leveraging EdgeX; a precursor to a community certification program. Learn how to become EdgeX Ready through the project’s Wiki page.
API | containers | DevOps | EdgeX Foundry | IoT | LF Edge | open source | security