The Eclipse Foundation has released its 2021 IoT and Edge Commercial Adoption Survey report, based on an online survey of more than 300 IoT and edge professionals conducted from January 12 to March 15, 2021. The survey’s objective is to gain a better understanding of the IoT and edge computing ecosystems by identifying the requirements, priorities, and challenges faced by organizations that deploy and use commercial solutions, including those based on open source technologies.
“IoT and edge computing technologies go hand-in-hand and these survey results tell a clear and compelling story, ” said Mike Milinkovich, executive director of the Eclipse Foundation. “Real-world adoption is accelerating in both domains and open source is firmly established in production deployments across a range of industrial use cases.”
Survey participants represent a broad set of industries, organizations, and job functions. Five of the top conclusions drawn from the survey data include:
– IoT technologies are being adopted at an accelerated rate. 47% of respondents currently deploy IoT solutions and an additional 39% plan to deploy within the next 12 to 24 months.
– Edge computing adoption is also picking up. 54% of organizations are either utilizing or planning to utilize edge computing technologies within 12 months. Another 30% have plans to evaluate edge deployments over the next 12 to 24 months.
– 74% of organizations factor open source into their deployment plans, a 14% increase over the 2019 survey. This clearly demonstrates that the dominant IoT & Edge platforms will either be open source or based on open source.
– The top 3 IoT and edge operational challenges are: 1) End-to-end IoT solution monitoring and management; 2) Device management; and 3) Security (network/devices/data).
– There is a trend towards a Hybrid Cloud strategy. 44% of respondents suggest that their IoT deployments are using, or will use, a Hybrid Cloud (i.e. composed of two or more distinct cloud infrastructures such as private and public), an increase from 22% in 2019.
The report also includes details on IoT and edge adoption by industry and the top concerns of commercial adopters.
The IoT and Edge Commercial Adoption Survey is sponsored by the Eclipse IoT and Edge Native Working Groups. The adoption survey complements the annual IoT Developer Survey.
The Foundation’s IoT and Edge Native communities represent one of the largest open source collaborations in the world spanning 47 projects from 49 members and over 32 million lines of code produced. Eclipse IoT and edge projects have been adopted by leading organizations across a variety of verticals to deliver commercial IoT and edge-based solutions and services.
device management | Eclipse Foundation | edge application | edge computing | edge platforms | IoT | open source